Thursday, November 16, 2006

"Defendent's Copy (Furnish to Court)"

So I'm driving home today from 53rd st. down 18th towards my new house to get my piano books for piano lessons. I'm already barely gonna make it. It's like 4:20 and my lesson is at 4:30 and I still had to go home and get my books before I went to it. So I'm driving in front of bettendorf high and I get to a light and look in my rearview mirror and what do i see?

a popo with his lights on. waving at me. I pulled into a parking lot and rolled down my window waiting for him to get out and come talk to me (which took him forever leaving me wondering whether I was supposed to get out and talk to him or if he is gonna come talk to me). So he comes up and asks for my license and insurance and at this point I am really scared. I guess i was going 42 in a 25. But the thing is...it's not a 25, it's a 35...normally. And I was completely oblivious to the fact that between 7 and 5 on weekdays it is a 25 for that short stretch in front of the school. I had figured school was over and done with an hour and a half ago and it didn't even cross my mind that it might be a 25. But that obviously didn't matter to mr. police man. He went back to his car and sat down forever and then came back telling me he was going to give me a citation. I didn't know what that was and hoped it meant a warning but no. It did not. It was a full out ticket. $90. $90 for going 5 over what I thought was the speed limit.

While driving to get my books, now 3 minutes late for piano lessons, you would not have wanted to have been in the car with me. I think i exhausted pretty much every single explitive word that i could think of and was in a fit of rage towards the copper who pulled me over. I was pissed because I know that if I had been a girl, I would not have gotten a "citation". Stupid sexist cops. And Jenn said if I had been nerdy, I would not have gotten one either, which led me to believe that if i would have only told him that I was late for my piano lesson, he would have let me off the hook. But do you know the consequences for this? it is not only a $90 ticket. It is a probation. It is a refusal to give me my full license when I turn 17, thereby abolishing curfew. It is going to hang over my head from here until I turn 18 and that pisses me off a lot. On top of all of that, i feel retarded because i've only had my license for a month and I already got a speeding ticket...and it wasn't even for a good reason.


and now i have to tell mom.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Andyman...if only I could have warned you...you have to watch out for those school zones! Sorry.

kate debaene said...

Andyman - sorry about that. And don't feel bad...I had my license for like 3 months when I got pulled over my first time for speeding - going 15 over in the country. I was with my boyfriend at the time who lived out there, and the cop ended up giving me a warning and scolding my boyfriend because he should have told me about my speed. Maybe there is somthing to that "being a girl thing".

It is hard not to speed. Because I travel so much, I don't know the speed limits if they aren't posted, and I find myself getting lucky a lot!